Jumble Sale is Back for 2022!
For many in the Northwood Hills area, and certainly some of those reading this, there is only one Jumble Sale of note. For two years 1st Northwood Scouts have had to cancel it and it has been missed, not only for the funds it raises, but for the undoubted social event and valuable resource it is!
SATURDAY 28TH MAY 2022
This date has been carefully chosen considering other events, bookings, commitments and holidays. So, a few facts:
- Probably the largest jumble sale you will encounter
- Preparation starts a month earlier
- Work is done every day for that month
- Sorting is done five days a week during that month
- The field and the hut are well used
- It takes two days to prepare them
- There are over forty stalls
- Clearing up is completed on the Sunday
- Over two hundred volunteers are needed
- It is THE annual fundraising event for 1st Northwood
- The revenue is vital for the excellent programme of activities
During the lockdown of 2020 and the intervening months the volunteer leaders of 1st Northwood Scouts have provided such a magnificent programme of varied activities, challenges, social events, badge work and general good fun that not only did most of the children stay engaged (when many were turning off from extra-curricula Zoom meetings) but numbers increased and there is now a waiting list of children waiting to join. This could well be unique in the Scouting movement in this country and is an endorsement of the exceptional devotion and duty shown by our fantastic leadership.
They deserve our support. ARE YOU WILLING TO SHOW APPRECIATION BY VOLUNTEERING TO HELP PREPARE AND DELIVER THE JUMBLE SALE ON 28TH MAY?
If so, send your email address to
firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the group list for information regarding when you can help from 25th April. Please include your names and phone number for my records (which I protect and will only use for 1st Northwood Scout matters).
Yes, it is hard and sometimes dirty work, but it is very satisfying and rewarding and a great way to meet parents, volunteers and the leaders! All sorts of skills and tools are needed and if you have a particular ability with computers or electronics or bikes or china or books or driving or electrics or,,,or….or…please let me know in your initial email.
Bearing in mind that we cancelled the Jumble Sale in 2020 and 2021, the Group lost its major source of income for two years running. While our expenses were lower during lockdown, we still had to pay all of the utility bills, rent, insurance and keep the minibus legal. If you would like to help you can do so in the following ways:
- Please register and support 1St Northwood Scout Group each time you shop on smile.amazon.co.uk
When you are asked to choose your charity use the drop-down box to select 1St Northwood Scout Group. Note the format with a capital ‘S’ in 1st – beware there is also a 1st Northwood Scout Group on the Isle of Wight!
- Register at easyfundraising by clicking on this link: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/invite/TLHI6S/ and select “1st Northwood Scouts New Hut Appeal” as your good cause. Then whenever you make an online purchase at any of the stores listed on their site, such as Boots, John Lewis, Expedia, Argos, Ebay and hundreds more, you place your order via easyfundraising instead of going direct, and we get a donation.
- Send a cheque payable to “1st Northwood Scout Group“, to the Treasurer, Malcolm Smart at 16 Lichfield Road, Northwood, HA6 1LZ
- Make an online donation by clicking right here.
JUMBLE SALE, 25th May 2019
At last, a dry Jumble Sale and no mud underfoot! The fine weather brought out around 1,000 punters who stayed spending what was probably a record amount of money – we’re still counting it – certainly more than enough to fund the Group for another year.
Visitors were impressed with our new Scouting Centre, though not completely finished it functioned well for the sale.
This amazing event was very much a team effort; thanks to the residents for their generous donations, the volunteers who collected and sorted the goods, those who manned the stalls and especially to the public who came and shopped!
The photos say it all:
JUMBLE SALE, 12th May 2018
Well, that’s Jumble over for another year! Thank you to everyone who made Jumble Sale 2018 a huge success – in spite of the weather! The weeks of planning and sheer hard work paid off; the public turned out in force, some queuing in the rain for hours; the stall holders soldiered on through the driving rain – what have we done to deserve such weather?
We were delighted to welcome Mayor of Hillingdon Cllr John Morgan, Mayoress Fiona Morgan, and former Mayor Cllr Carol Melvin to the event. The decision was made to open early so that the public could get in out of the rain, this meant that the Mayor’s ‘opening’ speech came a little late!
Cllr Melvin performed a most important ceremony for us in removing the first brick from the old scout hut, a symbolic gesture in readiness for the actual demolition due to take place in June.
A few photos from the 2017 sale:
A short video of Jumble Sale 2016